Here are the top cyber news and stories of the day.
- The FBI is expanding their Cybercrime division - As part of the Next Generation Cyber Initiative, the FBI is changing the way they combat cyber crimes. Part of this is by increasing collaboration with local groups and increasing their hiring. The FBI has had a very successful year, and looks to continue cyber successes. Via InformationWeek Government, more here.
- DHS has awarded 34 Cyber R&D contracts - The DHS Science and Technology Directorate has awarded 34 contracts to 29 academic research organizations for cyber security solutions. Via AFCEA, more here.
- FBI Moving to Identify more hackers - The FBI is looking to make a push to stop cybercrime by identifying the threat actors behind crimes. The FBI is hoping that identification of criminals can limit cybercrime. Via Threat Post, more here.
- Panetta warns Congress to avert sequestration and deal with cyber security - During a press conference the 25th of October at the Pentagon, the SecDEF had some strong words regarding cybersecurity and serious national security issues. His three points he made were to avoid sequestration of Congress, that Congress needs to pass a defense authorization bill and the need for real cybersecurity legislation. Via Examiner, more here.
- Facebook awards $250K of cybercrime dollars to student cyber researchers - students from the University of Alabama Birmingham helped Facebook recover funds from the 'Koobface' worm. In return, Facebook has given those same researchers $250K recovered from the cyber thieves. Via Venture Beat, more here.
- According to DHS' Napolitano, Obama has yet to review cybersecurity executive order - Napolitano stressed that she believes the administration is hoping Congress would pass legislation, to take the pressure off them. Via FierceGovernment IT, more here.
- The South Carolina Department of Revenue was hacked, and millions of SSNs were stolen - this latest hacker attack was the result of 5 intrusions that stole 3.6M SSNs and 387k payment card records. Via USA Today, more here.
Latest posts by Ryan Kamauff (see all)
- Hackers go phishing with Obamacare, NSA goes on the record about Tor attacks and more - October 7, 2013
- Powerbag: one accessory we all need - October 2, 2013
- Did Amazon knock one out of the park with the Kindle Fire HDX? - October 1, 2013