Here are the top tech news and stories of the day.
- Microsoft's Windows Store protection cracked - The Microsoft Windows store is a key component of Windows 8, and figures greatly into future revenue streams for the firm. However, a hacker has figured out how to turn 7-day trials into the full version of the applications. The software has already been updated many times since its inception. Via BetaNews, more here.
- Google Reportedly Preparing To Sell Self-Branded Chromebooks - After the huge success of the Samsung ARM-based Chromebook, it is no surprise that Google is planning to create their own device. It appears they have tagged Compal (a top ODM) to help them produce a 12+" touchscreen Chromebook. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- The State of Broadband in the U.S. - GigaOM has an interesting infographic which illustrates the sprawl and density of broadband in the US. This graphic could be informational to anyone looking to deliver location based services. Via GigaOM, more here.
- It’s a cloud-off! To compete with Amazon, Google Compute Engine slashes prices - Competition is good for anyone, especially cloud users these days. Google has added 36 server instances and cut prices by 5% in an effort to compete with Amazon Web Services. The price reduction is major and could help Google increase their appeal. Via Venture Beat, more here.
- Ready To Download Your Next Pair Of Shoes? How 3D Printing Is Turning Bits Into Atoms - As 3D printing increases in value, a few firms are growing in commercial appeal. This Business Insider article investigates how 3D printing could change your life. Via Business Insider, more here.
- Eucalyptus update makes its techie cloud easier to use - The open-source cloud computing software Eucalyptus has added a GUI and reporting tools to its open-source cloud. It is now competing with CloudStack, OpenStack and VMware's vCloud Director. The updates "harder on the inside" and "softer on the outside," which makes more secure and resilient but easier to use. Via GigaOM, more here.
Latest posts by Ryan Kamauff (see all)
- Hackers go phishing with Obamacare, NSA goes on the record about Tor attacks and more - October 7, 2013
- Powerbag: one accessory we all need - October 2, 2013
- Did Amazon knock one out of the park with the Kindle Fire HDX? - October 1, 2013