Here are the top mobile news and stories of the day.
- Testing shows voice-over-LTE power drain is improving, but it’s still no 2G - "Mobile network tester Spirent found that VoLTE 4G calling technology has made some big improvements in power efficiency since its last round of tests, but it still has far to go before it can match 2G voice." While LTE is great for speeds, it is a total battery killer (on any device). HSPA+ makes LTE only necessary for tethering, but still something needs to change. CDMA devices are the ones in greatest need for LTE speeds, yet using the 2G CDMA voice kills your ability to receive data. Eventually, we'll figure out how to make LTE not ruin battery life, but until then, I'm sticking to GSM and HSPA+ devices. Via GigaOM, more here.
- IDC: Android tablets will overtake the iPad in 2013 - the standard bearing 7" Android tablet runs $199, the iOS equivalent? $329. Likewise, the best 10" Android device is $399, while its iOS counterpart is $499. IDC sees this as the fundamental reason that Android tablet market share is skyrocketing up, and may even surpass Apple's share in 2013. These numbers may make sense if they are tablets sold in 2013, because there is no way for Android to make up the incumbent number of iPads sold (over 100M). Via Android Community, more here.
- Google reveals Glass apps: New York Times, Evernote, Gmail, and Path - Google Glass is something I can't wait for, and I know I'll be one of those people stumbling around town with my Glass on. But the details here are that Google Glass will be delivering images much like Google Now "Timeline Cards," so developers will just have to plug in to that API to provide the unified experience Google is looking for. Via The Verge, more here.
- With Mobile Apps And Hardware, YC-Backed Automatic Launches To Help You Get More Out Of Your Car - Automatic is a new app and capability that plugs into your car and allows you monitor how your car is performing. The app will also provide you with a driving score, monitoring "hard brakes" and time over 70mph. Detailed fuel efficiency data will also be available, which many people will enjoy. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Verizon’s Getting a Thinner, Lighter, Aluminum Nokia Lumia 928 in April - Verizon is currently bereft of many Windows Mobile offerings, but Nokia aims to change that in April. The Lumia 928 will be offered with "an aluminum body, a xenon and LED flash for the 8MP PureView camera" and an overall thinner and lighter form factor. Via Gizmodo, more here.
- HTC delays One shipments to late March, early April for some markets - HTC was hoping to use their One smartphone to get some of Samsung's marketshare back in the Android race. Their last flagship phone, the One X, did not sell very well and without a win here, it could be fatal for the manufacturer. The One will be released before Samsung's Galaxy S IV, but many may wait for the Sammy device. Via The Verge, more here.
- T-Mobile-MetroPCS sails through FCC without even a vote - I'm entirely sure what the benefit of a T-Mobile-MetroPCS merger is, for either firm, because of the different spectrums and technologies they use to deliver connectivity. These are the fourth and fifth largest carriers in the US. Via GigaOM, more here.
- Study: One in four teens access the internet primarily through mobile - The most recent Pew Research Center report states that one in four teenagers access the internet primarily through mobile devices. I'll be honest, I am surprised it is not higher. Adult smartphone adoption in the US is at 50%, while teenager adoption is at 40%. I think the availability of low-cost carriers will drive the second rate faster than the first. Via GigaOM, more here.
- Is Google Now Coming to iOS? - It appears that Google Now could be headed to the iOS landscape. This would be a big win for Google, because it would increase their capabilities and data they pull down. Via Gizmodo, more here.
Latest posts by Ryan Kamauff (see all)
- Hackers go phishing with Obamacare, NSA goes on the record about Tor attacks and more - October 7, 2013
- Powerbag: one accessory we all need - October 2, 2013
- Did Amazon knock one out of the park with the Kindle Fire HDX? - October 1, 2013