We have been tracking Amazon for years, but as a reference point consider that in November 2006 BusinessWeek ran a cover story with the title "Jeff Bezos' Risky Bet" where the concept of cloud computing as a business model disruptor was catapulted into the mainstream. Since then the risky bet has paid off for Amazon and has helped transform the business ecosystem in ways few could have predicted.
Amazon considers cloud computing to be the on-demand delivery of IT resources and applications via the Internet with pay-as-you-go pricing. Others may use different definitions but Amazon is the 500lb gorilla so for this post at least we will say we agree!
For an August 2016 update on how things are going see the video at this link and below:
The power of the AWS cloud is now driving continuous advancements in Analytics, Artificial Intelligence and IoT.
In Artificial Intelligence, one fantastic real-world capability is the AI enabled Amazon Echo, which is really the closest thing you can get to a Star Trek computer.
In IoT, Amazon is providing a means to control and configure IoT devices with easy to use graphical interfaces. They call this feature Amazon IoT. This can be used to control large scale IoT deployments or smaller scale home capabilities (for example, you can buy a home IoT experiment kit from Amazon called the Intel Edison and control that by Amazon IoT, a great way to learn).
For more on Amazon's capabilities in Cloud Computing, Artificial Intelligence and IoT see: https://aws.amazon.com/
CTOvision Reporting on Amazon
- Cisco and Amazon partner on hybrid-cloud approach
- Amazon HQ2's National Landing campus: The inside scoop
- Platform Giants and Venture-Backed Startups
- Amazon rolls out High Memory Instances for in-memory databases
- Amazon Storefronts is a new retail hub exclusively for US small businesses
- DHS opens new cybersecurity center to protect infrastructure, Amazon works issues of Rekognition, self-assessment to help against data breaches, Samsung's IoT hub open to attacks
- AWS Snowball Edge And Hyper Converged Infrastructure Will Revolutionize Global Enterprises
- Blockchain Enables Anarchy
- Technologies To See At DoDIIS
- Amazon Snowball Edge Even More Functional: Imagine your own cloud in a box that works in the field
- How will AI affect nation states, Social media battle against fake news using AI, Walmart and Microsoft team up to take on Amazon, AI won't be taking away your jobs
- Amazon gets close to 50 percent of US ecommerce market share, PC sales up, cyber security critical in Internet of Things, Blockchain causes disruption
- Google to add signature for non playstore APKs, Microsoft and EY's blockchain tool, CIO advise for tackling constraints in innovation,
- A Vision of the AI-Enabled Future
- AI & Blockchain: Double the Value or Double the Hype?
- Yes there are dark sides to AI, but what if it keeps us safer? Does that make Google the bad guy? (again?)
- Tech as a Career Gains Ground, Microsoft's Sinks Data, SAP Does Blockchain
- Some of the biggest compromises of your information are by design, you just don't know it
- Blockchain Templates: Amazon Making Technology Mainstream
- Scary Words For Anyone: Microsoft and Amazon Are Entering Your Market
- Yelp's case against Google, Blockchain tech by JPMorgan, Facebook's hate filtering chip
- Everyday Threats That Can Fool Even The Savviest Of Techies
- Nearly 500,000 routers infected by Russian malware, Apple's privacy portal, New LocationSmart scandal
- How Amazon and Starbucks are Impacting the Cryptocurrency Market
- How Cryptocurrencies will go from The Technologically Savvy, into the Everyday Transactions of Consumers
- Tracking The Evolution Of Amazon Kinesis: Real-time processing of streaming data, including video, at scale
- AI is a Job Category Killer (But Don't Worry)
- Coming Events of Interest: These are the big ones for rest of 2018
- The Global Ungoverned Area
- Cyber War: The Fastest Way to Improve Cybersecurity?
- Time for Transformational Cybersecurity Part II
- Assessments on AWS Snowball and AWS Snowball Edge Post Confirmed By User Feedback
- Electric Dreams: Amazon Turns Philip K. Dick Short Stories Into 10 Standalone Movies
- Stream New Science Fiction Web Series "ExHumans" on Amazon
- Time for Transformational Cybersecurity!
- Pause And Take Note Of The Remarkable Engineering In AWS Snowball and AWS Snowball Edge
- Automation Apps that Will Launch Your Startup
- 4 Surprising Industries Capitalizing on the Smart Tech Boom
- Big Data’s Impact on Advertising
- January 2018 Technology Trends Report
- How the Internet of Things is Influencing a New Cybersecurity Era
- How Big Data Can Improve Your Brand's Consumer Experience
- Connected Devices, Remote Security: Data Encryption and Security in the Cloud
- The Three Big Trends in 2018 That Will Matter When Doing Business in Europe
- How Taking the Time to Verify Your Network Could Save You Millions
- The American Way of War Is Based On Tech: Don't Let It Be Our Downfall!
- How Does Ireland Measure Up as a Location for Starting Your European Engineering Team?
- Big Data: Out of the Server Room and Into the World
- 6 Places Poised to be the New Silicon Valley Tech Hubs
- Artificial intelligence: the megatrend that’s first among equals
CTOvision Tech Titans List
We have been tracking Amazon for years, but as a reference point consider that in November 2006 BusinessWeek ran a cover story with the title "Jeff Bezos' Risky Bet" where the concept of cloud computing as a business model disruptor was catapulted … [Read More...] about Amazon AWS: Dominating In Cloudcomputing, Data Analytics, Artificial Intelligence and IoT
We all know and use Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL). And at a market cap of $591B they are clearly an IT player that will stick around and do big things for a long time to come. For those of us who have worked with them through the decades we have seen a slow … [Read More...] about Apple: Increasingly an enterprise IT company
We know Cisco Systems (NASDAQ:CSCO) really well and you probably do too. So we almost didn't include them in our list of tech firms here. They are one we all need to watch all the time anyway. But we thought it was important to remind you, even … [Read More...] about Cisco Systems, Inc
Dell Inc is privately owned. So it is hard to say what their exact size is, but before being delisted they were number 51 on the Fortune 500 list, so they have mass. That is about to change with the move to leverage VMware to go public again. We … [Read More...] about Dell: Privately owned PC and server maker and software giant
We track Google (NASDAQ:GOOGL) as a Tech Titan, of course. They have a market cap of over $544B and deserve the honor of being in this category. From an enterprise IT standpoint, their championing of the Android operating system has earned them a … [Read More...] about Google: Innovating in AI but can they catch up with cloud leaders?
There are now two HPs. The other is HP Inc. There are confusing similarities in the brands and some market overlap, but think of HP Inc as serving the consumer and HPE (NYSE:HPE) as serving the enterprise. Here is how HPE describes … [Read More...] about HP Enterprise (HPE): Focused on the enterprise market
There are now two HPs. There may have been smart business reasons for doing that, but for busy IT professionals it is confusing for the brand and there is just no way around that. Let me try to clear it up. HP Inc sells computers, solutions and … [Read More...] about HP Inc (formerly Hewlett-Packard Company): PCs and Printers
One reason to track IBM (NYSE:IBM) is to watch as they react to the threats from firms like Amazon. What Amazon has done in Cloud Computing is absolutely incredible and it really helped wake up IBM to the need to innovate in this area. But IBM also … [Read More...] about IBM: Technology for both enterprises and the startup world
Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC) is best known for chips, but is involved in many other aspects of the delivery of compute platforms. At a current market cap of $164B they have the resources to continue to innovate and we expect to see Intel as a Tech … [Read More...] about Intel Corporation: Designing and manufacturing digital technology platforms
All enterprise professionals should continue to track MicroSoft (NASDAQ:MSFT). With a market cap of $450B they are not going anywhere soon. We focus most of our energy tracking smaller, more disruptive firms since most enterprise technologists will … [Read More...] about MicroSoft: Cloud Provider and still dominating in enterprise office automation
Oracle (NYSE:ORCL) is one of the most widely known Tech Titans, and at a $169B market cap has plenty on hand to continue innovating and acquiring new capabilities. They will be around. Here is how they describe themselves: Oracle Corporation … [Read More...] about Oracle Corporation: Addressing enterprise IT infrastructure
We really don't track Symantec very closely, since everyone knows them. They are definitely deserving of the title "Tech Titan." But we do try to keep aware of the major moves they make since they are such an important player and will report on them … [Read More...] about Symantec: Confidence in a Connected World
With this post we are initiating coverage of Verisign (NASDAQ: VRSN). Many in the technology community know Verisign for their domain name registration heritage and their operation of the .com, .net, .edu and .gov top level domains. Verisign has … [Read More...] about Verisign: Security Services
Everyone has heard of VMware. But the firm has become so very capable it is easy to misunderstand the firm. Their roots are in virtualizing operating systems on servers. But through innovation and acquisition and a focused strategic of improvement … [Read More...] about VMware: A Tech Titan And Leader In Cloud Infrastructure and Digital Transformation