We track Google (NASDAQ:GOOGL) as a Tech Titan, of course. They have a market cap of over $544B and deserve the honor of being in this category. From an enterprise IT standpoint, their championing of the Android operating system has earned them a place in the mobility domain, and their Google Apps offering helped show many businesses that the cloud can work for office automation. But the majority of their business is still today selling advertisements. Don't expect pure play enterprise IT offerings from this powerhouse. And we should all be watching to see if they can make enough progress in their cloud offerings to compete with Amazon in this space.
Here is how Google describes themselves:
Alphabet Inc. is a holding company. The Company holds interests in Google Inc. (Google). The Company's segments include Google and Other Bets. Google segment includes Internet products, such as Search, Ads, Commerce, Maps, YouTube, Apps, Cloud, Android, Chrome, Google Play, and hardware products, including Chromecast, Chromebooks and Nexus, which are sold by the Company. Its technical infrastructure and Virtual Reality are also included in Google segment. Google segment is engaged in advertising, sales of digital content, applications and cloud services, as well as sale of Google branded hardware. The Other Bets segment consists of various operating segments and includes businesses, such as Access/Google Fiber, Calico, Nest, Verily, GV, Google Capital, X and other initiatives. Other Bets segment is engaged in the sale of Nest hardware products, Internet and television services through Google Fiber, and licensing and research and development (R&D) services through Verily.
For more see: Google.com
- Android, Chromebook Make a Sweet Couple (linuxinsider.com)
- Android apps are now available on Chrome OS beta channel, still limited to three devices (9to5google.com)
- New Chromebooks will be able to fully leverage Android Apps (nextbigfuture.com)
- Chromebooks expected to exceed 17 million units by 2023 (clixto7.com)
- Google Play For Chromebooks Graduates to Beta Channel (chromestory.com)
- Android, Chromebook Make a Sweet Couple (technewsworld.com)
- 10 Productivity Tools For Content Writers (getresponse.com)