At Hadoop Summit in San Jose on Tuesday, June 28, 2016, Hortonworks announced a new release of its Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP) Hadoop distribution, version 2.5, as well as an expansion of its Partnerworks program and a new partnership with AtScale, provider of a self-service Business Intelligence (BI) platform for Hadoop.
Some important take-aways from this announcement are the new security features of HDP 2.5, which include more robust security and data governance, and will implement dynamic classification-based insurance policies by leveraging Apache Atlas and its metadata tag features to classify data. Apache Ranger is used to enforce the security policies using these tags.
Other new features of HDP 2.5 include:
- Notebook for Enterprise Spark at Scale with Apache Zeppelin
- Streamlining operations with the latest Apache Ambari
- Processing streaming data in real time with Apache Storm
- Near real-time ad hoc analytics and multi-tenancy improvements with Apache HBase and Apache Phoenix
Hortonworks is also expanding partnering approach, by adding new offerings for Managed Service Providers (MSPs) to its Partnerworks program and expanding its ISV/IHV programs.
Hortonworks also announced an agreement to resell AtScale's self-service BI platform for Hadoop. AtScale already has a working relationship with Hortonworks, and its product is available on Microsoft Azure HDInsight, built on HDP.
Latest posts by Charles Hall
- Voting Machines Hacked at DEF CON in Las Vegas - July 31, 2017
- President Launches New Tech Group - May 7, 2017
- Hortonworks HDP 2.5: Improved Security and Data Governance - July 28, 2016