One reason to track IBM (NYSE:IBM) is to watch as they react to the threats from firms like Amazon. What Amazon has done in Cloud Computing is absolutely incredible and it really helped wake up IBM to the need to innovate in this area. But IBM also invests a great deal in their own internal R&D and is creating new capabilities in AI of note. The famous Watson capability (which, along with Cognos, should be considered when you do market research on business intelligence and analytics capabilities) has now been morphed into something that is available via cloud API. And there seems to be at least a little bit of Watson in every thing every part of IBM has to offer. IBM has also famously been pioneering IoT capabilities and invests heavily in smart cities.
Like the other Tech Titans we track, IBM acquires firms with capabilities they feel are strategic fits for their vision and we have seen a huge new collection of firms brought onboard IBM to build out their cloud offerings. This includes many firms we have been tracking on our disruptive IT list like Cleversafe and Cloudant, for example.
Here is how IBM describes themselves:
International Business Machines Corporation (IBM) is a technology company. The Company operates through five segments: Global Technology Services (GTS), Global Business Services (GBS), Software, Systems Hardware and Global Financing. The Company's GTS segment offers services, including strategic outsourcing, integrated technology services, cloud and technology support services (maintenance services). Its GBS segment provides consulting and systems integration, application management services and process services. The software segment consists primarily of middleware and operating systems software. The Systems Hardware segment provides clients with infrastructure technologies. The Company's Global Financing segment includes client financing, commercial financing, and remanufacturing and remarketing.
For more see: IBM.com
- IBM Inks Deal with Workday for Cloud Computing (blogs.barrons.com)
- Tracking The Megatrend of Artificial Intelligence (ctovision.com)
- How a Century-Old Tech Company Continues to Innovate: Q+A with Esteban Pérez-Hemminger, Design Lead at IBM (insights.newscred.com)
- Austin AI Startup Cognitive Scale Brings in $21.8M in Series B Funding (xconomy.com)
- IBM: Winning Is Everything in Cloud Computing and Revenues (arnoldit.com)
- AoE: The AI of everything (itworldcanada.com)
- A Look at IBM's Watson 5 Years After Its Breathtaking Jeopardy Debut (singularityhub.com)
- Google and Microsoft Want Every Company to Scrutinize You with AI (technologyreview.com)
- Artificial Intelligence Saves a Woman's Life (bigthink.com)
- Is Cloud Computing Right For Your Organization? (coloradotech.edu)