With this post we are initiating coverage of Scality, a firm we are hearing quite a bit of buzz about lately.
We first heard of Scality in news of their VC funding rounds in early 2011, and soon thereafter began to get questions from government infrastructure professionals asking how Scality compares to Cleversafe. Cleversafe has been a pioneer and at the time Scality was just a fast moving new entrant. Both companies have improved their offerings since then but enterprises will need to invest due diligence to determine which is the best approach for them. For those starting due diligence it is becoming clear to me that one key evaluation of both firms needs to be how well they are serving existing users. But of course the technology and its performance are also key.
Scality's key offering is RING. This is a petabyte-scale, software-only storage solution based on patented object storage technology built using a distributed, shared-nothing architecture with no single point-of-failure. Built-in tiering provides maximum flexibility in storage configuration, and delivers low latency and high performance.
Visit this link or see the video embedded below for a video from Scality:
Here is more on the Scality RING:
From their website:
Scality RING provides scalability both in capacity and performance, is cost efficient to operate and delivers comprehensive data protection. Scality’s RING software storage solution operates seamlessly on any commodity server hardware, turning generic x86 servers into a reliable, high performance storage platform. The servers provide the storage media, whether it is performance oriented SSDs or capacity oriented SATA drives. Scality’s software takes care of the rest, delivering centralized management, data protection, self-healing, high availability and automated-tiering.
Scality RING supports POSIX file systems, including its own Scale-Out File System, is available with Multi-Geo support for geo-redundancy and high availability, and ARC erasure coding for efficient data protection. The Scality Scale-Out File System is a complete, fully functional storage system. It delivers a state of the art solution for file access, sharing and distribution and provides the complete functionality that any application would expect from a file system. The Scality Scale-Out File System has a parallel design from the client to the core of the RING storage nodes, facilitates application integration, and is fully scalable. Multi-Geo facilitates synchronous and asynchronous geo-distribution across multiple, geographically distributed, data centers, allowing users to access distributed data-centers from one central data-center, thus reducing user response times and ensuring faster disaster recovery. ARC (Advanced Resilience Configuration), Scality’s erasure coding technology, provides support for erasure coding for data protection and resilience. It is a better alternative than RAID, providing protection against simultaneous failures at the disk, server and network levels, and addressing the cost concerns associated with large-scale deployments.
Additionally, Scality’s Sync-n-Share file synching and sharing module, as well as its REST HTTP, RS2, Cinder Openstack and Hadoop CDMI APIs, are available as add-on options.
A summary of Scality RING’s features and benefits are highlighted below:
- Fully operational on commodity server hardware
- 3rd generation object storage technology
- Parallel end-to-end architecture
- Self-healing – automatically handles node additions and removals
- Full scale-out model – linearly scalable from terabytes to exabytes and beyond
- Erasure coding for data persistence with checksum and replication support
- Full API support, including HTTP REST, RS2, Cinder OpenStack, and Hadoop CDMI
- High availability, reliability and data protection that delivers peace of mind
- High performance — high IOPs, high throughput, and low latency
- Architectural design and APIs that ensure forward compatibility with new technologies and standards
- Scalability to meet growing data demands
- Ease of integration and quick deployments into existing environments
- Extremely cost efficient, with low overall operational costs
The Scality RING software was deployed live starting in 2010. Today RING is deployed globally at many customers in a number of markets, including Email Service Providers, Media & Entertainment, HPC, Government and Enterprise.
- See more at: http://www.scality.com/products/what-is-ring/#sthash.xAq7DY03.dpuf
For more information see http://Scality.com
- Lord of the RING Scality lets NFS and popular pals into the object party (go.theregister.com)
- Scality RING: A Petabyte-scale, Software-only Storage Solution (insidehpc.com)
- Scality Announces Immediate Release of Scality RING 4.2, the First Object Storage Solution with Native NFS (virtual-strategy.com)
- GigaOM Research Highlights Scality's Object Store Performance, Scalability and Cost Benefits (hispanicbusiness.com)
- Scality Achieves Another Record Year With Bookings Growth of 500% (hispanicbusiness.com)
- Scality Announces Immediate Release of Scality RING 4.2, the First Object Storage Solution with Native NFS (hispanicbusiness.com)
- Scality Scores $22 Mln in Series C Funding (pehub.com)
- Scality Offers Version 4.2 of RING Cloud Storage Software (listfree.org)
- Spotlight on Scality: The Silicon Valley startup specialising in petabyte scale storage solutions (itproportal.com)
- Two new C-suite bods kiss the Scality ring as IPO rumours gather (go.theregister.com)