The amount of data being created in governments is growing faster than humans can analyze. But analysis can solve tough challenges. Those two facts are driving the continual pursuit of new Big Data solutions. Big Data solutions are of particular importance in government. The government has special abilities to focus research in areas like Health Sciences, Economics, Law Enforcement, Defense, Geographic Studies, Environmental Studies, Bioinformatics, and Computer Security. Each of those area can be well served by Big Data approaches, and each has exemplars of solutions worthy of highlighting to the community.
The Government Big Data Solutions Award was established to help highlight some of the best innovation in the federal space. The 2012 award process solicited nominations from across federal, state and local governments. Nominations were evaluated based on how well submissions addressed three key factors:
- Focus on current solutions: The ability to make a difference in government missions in the very near term was the most important evaluation factor.
- Focus on government teams: Industry supporting government also considered, but this is about government missions.
- Consideration of new approaches: New business processes, techniques, tools, models for enhancing analysis are key.
- Veterans Health Administration: New Big Data approaches and frameworks provide data and tools for 20,000 clinicians to track medical trends, better anticipate outcomes. The scope of the data set is over 80 billion data files. Focused on service to 25 million veterans. Judges selected Veterans Health Administration because of the impact and best practices in Big Data solutions.
- NASA: Multiple and extensive activities. One of many exemplars was the NASA Center for Climate Simulation (NCCS). Their work includes scalable Hadoop clusters for large scale climate simulations.
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing: This government agency is the largest producer of security documents in country. They have fielded an Oracle based Big Data solution enhanced quality and mission support, reduced waste. Judges characterized this as a good match of right business processes to and a modern technical approach.
- AMSAA: Army Materiel Systems Analysis Activity. Vehicle data analysis program instruments vehicles in theater to collect operational and environmental parameter historical data. Massive data pattern screening and analysis toolsets put in place. Result: rapid identification of issues before mission impact.
- National Cancer Institute: Extensive research and working prototypes of cutting edge systems based on Cloudera Distribution of Apache Hadoop (CDH) and the Oracle Big Data Appliance. Judges noted the significant potential impact of this solution as well as the strength of the technical approach.
Details on the judges top pick will be announced on 20 Nov 2012
Latest posts by Bob Gourley
- Deception for Speeding Up Your OODA Loop - December 5, 2019
- Software Acquisition and Practices in Government: Build or Buy? - November 25, 2019
- Travel Back To 1985 For A Guest Lecture By Commodore Grace Hopper on The Future of Computing - November 25, 2019