Bro is a widely used open source platform for network security/monitoring. The name Bro was picked years ago by the creator of Bro (Vern Paxson) as a reminder that monitoring comes hand in hand with the potential for privacy violations (Bro like in Orwell’s Big Brother).
See the reveal of the new name in this short clip from the 2018 Brocon:
There is still a need for all network and cybersecurity professionals to keep this consideration in mind of course, but the Bro leadership team has been hearing for years of another negative connotation of the term. For many it is a reminder of “bro culture” and the anti-inclusive and undesirable connotations there were a good reason to seek another name for this project. The new name: Zeek. For more on the renaming see: Renaming the Bro Project. We have known of Bro, now Zeek, for years, but have become much more familiar because of the commercial support provided the project by Corelight, which leverages Zeek to provide much better network security via virtual sensors. While on the topic, many CTOvision readers know (or know of) Richard Bejtlich. He has a long and distinguished track record of fighting for the good guys in global cyber conflict, serving in the Air Force CERT, Mandiant, FireEye and helping broad swaths of the community in doing so. He has now joined Corelight and is now part of the crew making Zeek safe for enterprise use.
Also of note:
- Opinion: Anyone with desire and a computer can have a successful career in AI
- Find your IP address and learn what your browser reveals about you, fast
- FingBox Gives You Network Superpowers: Network security that contributes to physical security
- Picking The Best Password Managers: Advice meant to share with friends and family
Latest posts by Bob Gourley
- Last Chance To Register: Cloud Security Alliance Annual Cruise 26 Sep 2019 - September 21, 2019
- The History Making Quantum Computing News We Have Been Anticipating Was Just Announced - September 20, 2019
- The No-Hype Guide To Quantum Computing You Need To See Today - September 17, 2019