Amazon's Snowball and Snowball Edge have both proven to be very capable in support to industries and government missions (see: Remarkable Engineering and Assessments Confirmed). Snowball was created to fill a critical gap and still helps organizations move large quantities of data securely to the cloud. Snowball Edge provided more features but also enabled users to conduct some simple pre-processing tasks on their data.
The evolution of these capabilities continues. Amazon has just announced even more functionality for Snowball Edge. Snowball Edge can now run Amazon EC2 instances, and multiple Snowball Edge devices can be connected to form local clusters centrally managed by an AWS console.
Now that Snowball Edge can run full-blown virtual machines it can run enterprise workloads over data in places where that could never be done before. Imagine running workloads you once had to have a cloud or private data center for, but now you can run them in environments where there is limited bandwidth. This can include field locations in support of industries like mining, oil/gas/energy, disaster response and scientific research. It can also include deployment of incredible cloud computing capabilities in support of military missions. The device is lightweight and is now an option for many airborne platforms including military UAVs as well as spacecraft. Shipborne use cases and use cases on submarines are now possible.
This new announcement should get your mind going with potential use cases. Some of the most interesting will include using the device to make smart decisions on what data to keep to move to the cloud and generate alerts and recommendations when certain criteria are met while data is being collected.
For more see: Snowball Edge. And for more on a one of many critical use cases, disaster response, see: Fast, Powerful and Practical: New Technology for Aerial Imagery in Disaster Response
CTOvision Context on Amazon
- Amazon Storefronts is a new retail hub exclusively for US small businesses
- DHS opens new cybersecurity center to protect infrastructure, Amazon works issues of Rekognition, self-assessment to help against data breaches, Samsung's IoT hub open to attacks
- AWS Snowball Edge And Hyper Converged Infrastructure Will Revolutionize Global Enterprises
- Blockchain Enables Anarchy
- Technologies To See At DoDIIS
- Amazon Snowball Edge Even More Functional: Imagine your own cloud in a box that works in the field
- How will AI affect nation states, Social media battle against fake news using AI, Walmart and Microsoft team up to take on Amazon, AI won't be taking away your jobs
- Amazon gets close to 50 percent of US ecommerce market share, PC sales up, cyber security critical in Internet of Things, Blockchain causes disruption
- Google to add signature for non playstore APKs, Microsoft and EY's blockchain tool, CIO advise for tackling constraints in innovation,
- A Vision of the AI-Enabled Future
Latest posts by Bob Gourley
- AI for Government Programs and the Federal Marketplace - September 19, 2018
- Don’t Worry, We Now Have Three Old Ideas for Solving the Cybersecurity Skills Gap - September 19, 2018
- SitScape CEO Kevin Yin will speak on the Webinar “Actionable Intelligence for the Performance-Based Operations Center” Sep 19, 2018 - September 15, 2018