Dallas Police used robotics in response to the horrible events of 7 July 2016, including the use of a robot with an explosive device to kill a suspect involved in the coordinated attack. The suspect was holed up in the El Centro College parking garage for several hours overnight Thursday before policed moved with their robotics.
Mayor Mike Rawlings said Friday Morning that: “We saw no other option but to use our bomb robot and place a device on its extension for it to detonate where the suspect was.”
There have been other reports of robotics being used to deploy chemical munitions against armed suspects, but this is the first known use by domestic police of a robot with a bomb.
- PFP Cybersecurity: Providing iron-clad identity for any device and detecting any anomalous behavior
- CTOvision Assessment On The Megatrend of Robotics
- DARPA Official: Human-Robot Teams Key to Disaster Response
- Boston Dynamics RoboDog Has A New Skill: Terrifying, But Potentially Lifesaving
- Time For A Fourth Law of Robotics
- Rare Joint Announcement by The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) Should Be Read By All - September 24, 2020
- Great AI Startups Needed In The Defense and IC Ecosystem: Join DIMF TechTalk 5 Nov 2020 - September 16, 2020
- The AFCEA Intelligence Committee Webinar Series Explores the Intelligence and Security Issues Facing the Nation - September 11, 2020