This is the way the Internet has been since its creation, and over the years many sites have been established with helpful tools to inform and educate on what can be known about you and what you can do about it. One aspect I would like to highlight here is info on your IP address.
One I like for its simplicity and mapping interface is: http://en.utrace.de Visit there and it will automatically sense your IP and then plot what it knows about your location. It is spoofable by running your connection through a proxy, of course, so you might want to try doing it before and after you take steps to protect your online browsing records.
A similar site is: http://whatismyipaddress.com This site provides similar info and great FAQs on how IP technology works. Another is: http://www.showmyip.com They provide a few notes on ways to do more advanced queries.
For more info on IP addresses, see:
More Enterprise Tech Tips:
- Thoughts for the CTO from 171 BC
- In Defense Of 3% Of Google’s Employees And Their (And Everyone’s) Right To Have Opinions
- Warning Meat Puppets: Robotic Trucks Drive Across Europe In Demonstration Of What Is Possible Today
- Bogons: Do not let them in or through your networks
- A Simple DNS Configuration Change Can Reduce Your Risk. Here Is What To Do
- The 20 Security Controls: Smartly Enhancing Enterprise Security
- Is Your CTO Making You Stupid?
- The Report The Cybersecurity Commission Should Have Sent To the President and President Elect
Latest posts by Bob Gourley
- Future Proof: Gain insights you will not get anywhere else - February 20, 2020
- Video Provides Overview of OODA’s 2020 Future Proof Conference - February 20, 2020
- Future Proof: Come Join Your Peers 19 March 2020 - February 19, 2020