Today we learned of the passing of Richards J. (Dick) Heuer.
So many of us were influenced by Dick Heuer and his writings. His first public writing on the discipline of intelligence analysis began in 1979 upon his retirement from the CIA. Later he would pull together his many articles to form the basis of his seminal work, Psychology of Intelligence Analysis, which helped improve the quality of intelligence analysis and became one of the most superior and lasting texts of intelligence literature.
His writings helped intelligence community analysts realize they have to confront their own human biases and always consider the right mental models when conducting analysis. He also helped many of us realize that the rush to always get more data is not always the right approach to improving analysis. There are times when we have all the data we need but do not apply the right analytical methods or let our bias creep in and cloud our judgement.
In 2010 co-authored the book Structured Analytic Techniques for Intelligence Analysis which highlight 55 structured analytic techniques. This book can help leaders in intelligence, law enforcement and business ensure they are considering the right mental models when approaching an analytical challenge.
With all the challenges facing humanity today, Heuer’s works are more important than ever. Every big challenge out there, including topics like the environment, the economy, the struggle between open societies and closed societies and healthcare, all have data associated with them. Having data does not seem to be the key issue in these domains. Having the right analytical methods and models may be far more important at this point.
For more on these topics see the CTOvision Guide to National Security Technology and
More from CTOvision:
Cyberwar and Cybersecurity:
- The Bill Codifying The New Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency Is Short and Sweet
- Opinion: Anyone with desire and a computer can have a successful career in AI
- Working in Cybersecurity: Life on the front lines, in the C-suite, and everywhere in-between
- The 2018 SINET 16 Awardees: Every one worth watching
- You have always known there is a threat of hardware attacks: Get ugly details here
- Don’t Worry, We Now Have Three Old Ideas for Solving the Cybersecurity Skills Gap
- Sometimes We Love The EU and Their Regulations: Tech Firms Face Prospect of Fines in Europe Over Terror Propaganda
- The Next Big Move In Trade: Restricting more tech exports to China and barring some investments
- Adapting the U.S. Approach to Strategic Deterrence In An Age Of Rapid Technology Change
- As We May Think: Vannevar Bush’s 1945 Essay still provides great motivational concepts for advancing science
- Cyberdefenders take pot-shots at NSA Director
- HBO’s Westworld: The Man In Black is a special kind of Twitter user
- Elon Musk, Our Kwisatz Haderach, Cites Frank Herbert
- I’m afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it.
- Lessons of Science Fiction Computer Interfaces
- Electric Dreams: Amazon Turns Philip K. Dick Short Stories Into 10 Standalone Movies
- Thiel, Hoffman, and Spiderman Ethics
- Robots Keep Evolving: New Capabilities of Boston Dynamics Robotic Dog Are Amazing
- Boston Dynamics RoboDog Has A New Skill: Terrifying, But Potentially Lifesaving
Tech Titan Reporting:
- Pause And Take Note Of The Remarkable Engineering In AWS Snowball and AWS Snowball Edge
- AWS Snowball Edge And Hyper Converged Infrastructure Will Revolutionize Global Enterprises
- Amazon AWS: Dominating In Cloudcomputing, Data Analytics, Artificial Intelligence and IoT
- Google: Innovating in AI but can they catch up with cloud leaders?
- IBM: Technology for both enterprises and the startup world
- Apple: Increasingly an enterprise IT company
- VMware: A Tech Titan And Leader In Cloud Infrastructure and Digital Transformation
Latest posts by Bob Gourley
- Nation’s Financial Heavyweights Issue Cyber Warning - January 18, 2020
- Trusona Is Poised To Improve How We Securely Authenticate With Systems - January 14, 2020
- This One Little Configuration Change Will Make It Harder For People To Steal Your Information - January 12, 2020