The CTOvision guide to the business of Big Data is designed to help enterprise technologists track this megatrend in actionable ways.
For years now people and our sensors and our computers have been generating more information than we can analyze. Breakthrough methodologies and new scalable data approaches based around Hadoop hold great promise to helping us make sense over increasingly large data sets. Sensemaking is key to success in most all other technology advancements. The ethical considerations around privacy and security over data will only grow.
The growth of Big Data has been foundational to the ability of enterprises to leverage Artificial Intelligence. The two megatrends have to be tracked separately, but are related (you can analyze Big Data without AI, but it is hard to do AI without Big Data).
A snapshot of the Big Data trend right now indicates:
- Estimates of 1 Trillion sensors by 2020
- Breakthrough methodologies and new scalable data approaches based around Hadoop hold great promise in sensemaking over large data sets.
- Sensemaking is key to success in most all other technology advancements.
- Ethical considerations around privacy and security over data will only grow.
- How ethical considerations are resolved will depend on culture, politics, other factors.
Open questions decision-makers should track include:
- Can there be widely accepted ethical frameworks for data and its use?
- Who will individual citizens trust to analyze their personal, home, auto data?
- Can behavioral analytics enhance service and security?
- What can adversaries do to attack enterprises via attacking data?
Impact of Big Data trends on Due Diligence assessments:
The trend of Big Data is an increasingly important element of corporate Due Diligence.
- On the sell side: Firms should ensure their data architectures are optimized and data is protected. Privacy considerations are also key and should be optimized prior to sell, as should compliance issues (especially compliance with GDPR and California 2020).
- On the buy side: Buyers should pay particular attention to the security and ethics around data policies and architectures.
Strategically, the evaluations of firms is an art requiring assessment of how unique the capability is and how much in demand it will be in the market. We provide due diligence consulting via our consulting arm, OODA LLC.
The way most enterprise technologists see these Big Data megatrend up close and personal is through the offerings of the companies providing big data solutions. For our reviews of the most disruptive technologies in the big data space see our Big Data Companies list.
For alerts on future posts on this topic see CTOvision Newsletters.
Latest Entries in the CTOvision Directory of Big Data Firms:
Additional reporting on Big Data and Analytics:
- DIA Provides Vision of new Data and Analytics Approach called MARS
- Cloudera, Tamr, Zoomdata, Trifacta, Kinetica help GSK
There are seven key megatrends driving the future of enterprise IT. You can remember them all with the mnemonic acronym CAMBRIC, which stands for Cloud Computing, Artificial Intelligence, Mobility, Big Data, Robotics, Internet of Things, CyberSecurity.
Latest posts by Bob Gourley
- Spookstock is secretive charity concert to help the kids of fallen intelligence professionals - September 14, 2019
- Exciting News To Share With Every Vet Concerning Cloud Security Alliance - September 9, 2019
- Benefits of OODA Loop Membership: Optimize your decision-making and accelerate your business - September 1, 2019