There are seven key megatrends driving the future of enterprise IT. You can remember them all with the mnemonic acronym CAMBRIC, which stands for Cloud Computing, Artificial Intelligence, Mobility, Big Data, Robotics, Internet of Things, CyberSecurity.
In this post we dive deeper into the trend of Big Data.
For years now people and our sensors and our computers have been generating more information than we can analyze. Breakthrough methodologies and new scalable data approaches based around Hadoop hold great promise to helping us make sense over increasingly large data sets. Sensemaking is key to success in most all other technology advancements. The ethical considerations around privacy and security over data will only grow.
The growth of Big Data has been foundational to the ability of enterprises to leverage Artificial Intelligence. The two megatrends have to be tracked separately, but are related (you can analyze Big Data without AI, but it is hard to do AI without Big Data).
A snapshot of the Big Data trend right now indicates:
- Estimates of 1 Trillion sensors by 2020
- Breakthrough methodologies and new scalable data approaches based around Hadoop hold great promise in sensemaking over large data sets.
- Sensemaking is key to success in most all other technology advancements.
- Ethical considerations around privacy and security over data will only grow.
- How ethical considerations are resolved will depend on culture, politics, other factors.
Open questions decision-makers should track include:
- Can there be widely accepted ethical frameworks for data and its use?
- Who will individual citizens trust to analyze their personal, home, auto data?
- Can behavioral analytics enhance service and security?
- What can adversaries do to attack enterprises via attacking data?
The way most enterprise technologists see these Big Data megatrend up close and personal is through the offerings of the companies providing big data solutions. For our reviews of the most disruptive technologies in the big data space see our Big Data Companies list.
For deeper considerations of the impact of Big Data on enterprise IT it is important to track all seven MegaTrends and consider them together. Dive deeper into all the trends and examine their impact on your organization via a CTOvision Pro membership, available for enterprises and individuals.
For alerts on future posts on this topic see CTOvision Newsletters.
Other reports in this series:
- CTOvision Assessment On The Megatrend of Cloud Computing
- CTOvision Assessment On The Megatrend of Artificial Intelligence
- CTOvision Assessment On The Megatrend of Mobility
- CTOvision Assessment On The Megatrend of Robotics
- CTOvision Assessment On The Megatrend of the Internet of Things
- CTOvision Assessment On The Megatrend of Cybersecurity
Latest posts by Bob Gourley
- Announcing OODA: A Company Addressing Next Generation Security Challenges - January 9, 2019
- An Interview with Greg DeArment, Head of Infrastructure at Palantir - December 17, 2018
- Senzing: AI powered entity resolution to find who is who and what is what in your data - December 12, 2018