The CTOvision guide to the business of the Internet of Things is designed to provide actionable information to enterprise technologists.
Today’s Internet connects people, governments, academia and business. The already emerging Internet of Things goes far beyond that. Largely enabled by embedded computing devices and ubiquitous communications, the Internet of Things reaches to vehicles, homes, towns and cities, commerce, manufacturing and every aspect of industry.
A snapshot of the Internet of Things trend right now indicates:
- Largely enabled by embedded computing devices and ubiquitous communications
- Use cases are expected to include enhancements to education, training, safety, security, healthcare, transportation and optimized manufacturing.
- Connected to the Cloud Computing megatrend since many IoT capabilities are controlled from cloud capabilities.
- Connected to Artificial Intelligence megatrend since increasingly IoT devices are having smarts put right in their devices.
- Connected to Big Data megatrend since IoT devices are generating incredible amounts of data.
- Huge driver of CyberSecurity research.
Open questions decision-makers should track on the Internet of Things include:
- Do you believe this will be any more secure than our current systems?
- How can we optimize distributed processors when they are idle?
- What transmission protocols will rule?
- What will normal be? What is role of behavioral analytics?
The Impact of IoT trends on Due Diligence Assessments:
The trend of IoT is an increasingly important element of corporate Due Diligence since it is disruptive to business models and also because of the unseen risks IoT can bring.
- On the sell side: Firms should ensure their IoT and Industrial IoT use is done securely and that mitigation strategies are in place for issues. Doing this before sale can make a big difference in how well a firm will be valued.
- On the buy side: Buyers should pay particular attention to the deployment of IoT and IIoT to ensure a well thought out architecture that mitigates risks. External and independent verification and validation of security policies and practices should include a review of the technical architecture, as well as the degree that the target is complying with appropriate compliance regimes.
Strategically, the evaluation of firms is an art requiring assessment of how unique the capability is and how much in demand it will be in the market. We provide due diligence consulting via our consulting arm, OODA LLC.
Follow this link to track the highest ranked, enterprise ready Internet of Things Companies.
For alerts on future posts on this topic see CTOvision Newsletters.
Latest Entries in the CTOvision Directory of IoT Related Firms:
There are seven key megatrends driving the future of enterprise IT. You can remember them all with the mnemonic acronym CAMBRIC, which stands for Cloud Computing, Artificial Intelligence, Mobility, Big Data, Robotics, Internet of Things, CyberSecurity.
Latest posts by Bob Gourley
- Spookstock is secretive charity concert to help the kids of fallen intelligence professionals - September 14, 2019
- Exciting News To Share With Every Vet Concerning Cloud Security Alliance - September 9, 2019
- Benefits of OODA Loop Membership: Optimize your decision-making and accelerate your business - September 1, 2019